improving a dry cleaning business with new equipment

Do You Live In An Older Home? Here Are Two Hidden Electrical Dangers You Want To Avoid

According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 2011, there were more than 47,000 house fires that originated from an electrical malfunction or failure. Although most homeowners believe their house is safe, the unfortunate reality is that there are a number of hidden electrical dangers. This is particularly true if you live in an older home. In order to ensure your home and family are protected, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with some of these hidden dangers.

Aluminum Wiring

Aluminum wiring is a major concern for people who live in older houses. In modern day construction, most houses are wired with a copper based wire; however, older houses were typically wired with an aluminum based wire due to the limited availability of copper. When compared to copper wiring, aluminum wiring poses a far greater risk for electrical fire.

One of the primary reasons for this is that aluminum is more likely to overheat. Even more alarming is that since the wires are behind the walls, a homeowner isn't typically aware of an issue with overheating until a fire has already started. The most efficient way to eliminate this issue is to upgrade the wiring in your home. Consider having an electrical professional come out and inspect your home to see the condition of the wire just to stay on the safe side.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters

Ground fault circuit interrupters, more commonly referred to as GCFIs, are designed to monitor the rate at which electricity is flowing both out and into a particular outlet. In newer homes, having these types of outlets installed in a laundry room, bathroom, kitchen or any other area where the outlet can easily come in contact with water is common. These units can easily be identified by the "reset" and "test" buttons that they have installed on them.

A GCFI outlet can literally save an individual's life. For example, say you're using a blow dryer near the sink and a part of the cord accidentally falls into water. Since the outlet is constantly monitoring the flow of electricity, in the event the level gets too high, the outlet will immediately stop the flow of electricity, preventing electrocution. If you live in an older home, make sure you upgrade the outlets.

Make certain you keep electrical safety a priority in your home. In addition to keeping your eyes open for hidden dangers, an electrical professional can also help keep your home safe. Consider having an electrician come out and inspect your home to give you confidence that your home is secure.

For more information, contact Bader Mechanical Inc. or a similar company.